As well as the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellowships offered each year, the Trust also offers several special purpose fellowships in partnership with others. The partnership programme includes:
Ngā kaupapa ka tautokona ā-pūtea / What we fund
Fellowship requests must be for:
- investigation, experience and/or research that will help to advance your field of interest, occupation, trade, industry or profession on your return
- overseas travel in the calendar year following the fellowship request.
- short-term travel outside New Zealand,* for up to three months.
* The Trust may also consider requests from people wishing to visit New Zealand for the purpose of completing a fellowship that will contribute to a profession, industry, occupation or trade in New Zealand or benefit New Zealand in general.
Ngā Hua / Outcomes
Fellowships assist people to travel overseas to learn from others and study topics that will be of personal benefit, help them advance their occupation, trade, industry, profession or community and New Zealand in general. Fellows return to New Zealand with new knowledge, skills, inspiration and networks to share and support development in their field.
Requests for fellowships should show how you plan to use and share what you experience and learn on your return with others in your occupation, trade, industry or profession and in your community.
Ngā kaupapa matua / Priorities
The Trust has limited income and aims to distribute this income as widely as possible each year for the greatest benefit to New Zealand. It expects applicants to personally meet not less than 20 per cent of the total estimated costs of their proposed fellowship, and to contribute more if they are able.
The average amount awarded for a fellowship is between $5000 and $7000, although requests for up to $10,000 may be made.
The Trust does not accept any responsibility for increased costs.
Ngā kaupapa kāore e tautokona ā-pūtea / What we don't fund
The Winston Churchill Memorial Trust and the partnered fellowships do not fund requests for:
- study for academic or professional qualifications
- attendance at academic or professional conferences*
- fellowships that do not show how the benefits of what is learned or experienced through overseas travel will be shared with others.
* Short courses that form part of an eligible project may be considered.
Find out more about the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust and its history.