The Trust makes grants to individuals and not-for-profit organisations. Branches of not-for-profit organisations with a national body may also apply independently.
Applicants are not required to be Chinese or descendants of early settlers. The Trustees encourage members of the Chinese poll tax descendant community and members of the wider community to seek funding from the Trust for suitable projects.
Ngā kaupapa ka tautokona ā-pūtea / What we fund
The Trust promotes, but does not limit itself to, funding:
- learning and use of the Cantonese language
- awareness and understanding of the history of Chinese communities in New Zealand
- the recording and preserving of Chinese New Zealand history
- greater public understanding of ethnic diversity with particular emphasis on the contributions of Chinese New Zealanders
- Chinese arts and culture (including Chinese New Zealand creative and cultural expression).
Requests for grants must have:
- goals and deliverables that are clearly linked to the aims of the Chinese Poll Tax Heritage Trust
- endorsement from a reputable organisation within the Chinese poll tax descendant community
- evidence that proposal and the organisation you belong to is not-for-profit
- supporting evidence from a referee who can verify the community benefits of your project
- a declaration of any other funding that has been provided for your project.
Ngā kaupapa matua / Priorities
The Trust’s current priorities for funding are requests for the following projects:
- histories of Chinese fruit shops
- histories of Chinese laundries
- histories of Chinese restaurants and takeaway shops (Chinese cuisine or otherwise)
- histories of Chinese commodity merchants
- histories of Chinese churches
- New Zealand Chinese Association Branch histories
- histories of Chinese wives and mothers pre 1970s
- restoration of gravestones (where there are no surviving family members to take on this role)
- commemoration of poll tax payers.
Histories can be from a regional or national perspective.
Grant requests for projects of this type are not guaranteed funding and must meet the same requirements as any other request to the Trust.
Important dates for the Chinese Heritage Poll Tax Trust
The Chinese Heritage Poll Tax Trust has two funding rounds each year. The important dates for the next funding round are linked below:
Ngā kaupapa kāore e tautokona ā-pūtea / What we don't fund
The Trust does not fund:
- grant requests that are of a political nature
- grant requests that are for projects or items already completed or acquired before the closing date for the funding round.