For Lottery Individuals with Disabilities, a disability refers to a long-term (six months or longer) limiting condition that affects a person’s ability to participate in the community.
Ngā kaupapa ka tautokona ā-pūtea / What we fund
Lottery Individuals with Disabilities funds vehicles, vehicle modifications, scooters, assistance dogs and other mobility equipment, that will enable better access to the community.
It also provides grants to people with disabilities that affect their communication, to buy equipment to help them communicate.
Ngā Hua / Outcomes
The outcomes sought by this Fund are:
- People with disabilities will actively participate in and have better access to their community;
- Children and young people with disabilities and their families will be more connected to their community
The Committee will look for information which shows how a request will support these outcomes and this will be important to the Committee making funding decisions.
Ngā kaupapa kāore e tautokona ā-pūtea / What we don't fund
In addition to what may not be funded by any Lottery committee, Lottery Individuals with Disabilities does not fund:
- Changes to any property or building;
- Items which are to be used only within the home;
- Equipment that the Ministry of Health or any other body has agreed to fund, up to the amount of that funding (any cost over that amount may be funded);
- Disabilities that have occurred as a result of an accident and are eligible for support from the Accident Compensation Corporation;
- Items already purchased;
- Repairs or maintenance to equipment; or
- Requests from individuals who do not have a disability
Insurance for equipment funded by the Lottery Individuals with Disabilities Fund is your responsibility.
Lottery Individuals with Disabilities Fund Supporting Documentation
To apply to the Lottery Individuals with Disabilities fund you need to provide:
- A letter of support
- A completed Verification of Disability form
A Verification of Disability form needs to be completed by a registered health professional. A template of the Verification of Disability form can be downloaded from the link below:
Requests can be made online through our grants and client management system, Paper based requests are also currently accepted. The request form and instructions for completing a hardcopy request can be found outlined here.