Organisations requesting COGS grants need to show how their community-based services or projects will contribute to:
- encouraging participation in communities
- promoting community leadership
- developing community capability
- promoting social, economic and cultural equity, or
- reducing the downstream social and economic costs to communities and government.
Each local COGS committee also develops community outcomes from discussions at annual public meetings where communities are able to discuss what local benefits or outcomes they want from the COGS investment in their communities.