The Lottery Health Research Committee gives priority to requests that:
- show how the research will translate into better health outcomes for New Zealand populations, including Māori and Pasifika
- show why the health issue is significant for New Zealand
- addresses a unique gap in health research knowledge in New Zealand
- includes researchers who will contribute to the New Zealand health sector over time.
For those requesting grants for post-doctoral fellowships and PhD scholarships priority is given to:
- researchers who are early in their career or entering and/or returning to the New Zealand work force
- host organisations that how they will provide quality support, management and supervision.
For shared equipment and translational research project requests, priority is given to:
- collaboration, particularly with significant pieces of research equipment, which should be shared between a number or research centres/institutions)
- projects that have received support from other funders.